Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Toughest Days of My Entire Life

I remembered what happened exactly 5 days ago like it just happened yesterday. I woke up so late that I was only thinking I was doomed for my next paper because I didn't study much the night before. I waited for my friends to go for lunch at about 2 pm. After lunch, I had a call. An unknown number. I thought this was probably another "You've got the wrong number" call. How wrong I was. It was Sandra's cousin, Yvonne, asking me whether I was in Melaka or not and informed me that she was involved in a car accident. After saying no and giving another friend's number who was in Melaka, I messaged to ask what really happened and I wanted updates. She wasn't exactly sure either so I had to wait. About an hour later, I received another message from my friend, Sheryl, asking me whether I was in Melaka. I told her I generally knew what happened and asked for an update. The next message was one I wished I never received. It said "She passed away". I froze. I was in total shock. I didn't know what to do. I kept thinking it wasn't true. I didn't reply because I didn't want to believe it. Then, a call came that was most heart-wrenching. Ai Fang called me later and confirmed it. She asked me to stay calm before she said it. I was. Only until the call ended. I couldn't contain myself from breaking down. It was so hard to take, so terribly painful. I was all alone in my room, staying there right until dinner time where I hid my emotions that my housemates didn't suspect something was amiss. A few calls and messages came that night. Telling me to be strong and reminding me of keeping focus for the next paper. The next 2 days were unbearable. All the memories kept rushing by. My exam on Saturday wasn't the toughest paper. But after what had happened, it seemed the toughest I ever did. I never mentioned it, but I want to thank my brother because he broke a record traveling time from my uni to Melaka just for me to make it for her funeral on time because he knew how much she means to me. When I arrived, I couldn't help but tear up when I saw her mom and sisters. A hug of comfort didn't heal the pain. But her mom told me not to cry and told me to stay strong. Moments later while walking, I felt a pat on the shoulder. It was Wee Kiat. He knew how I felt the most and he was so supportive throughout the day. He was always by my side and how I thank him for that. And I thank the rest who were there as well and to those who showed encouragement including Ganesh who called from Russia. And special thanks to Yvonne, Jacqueline, Melanie and Christine. You girls told me wonderful things about her that reminded me of her joyful, fun, loving, caring, and beautiful personality that I loved. Sure, it is tough and painful but I know she's in a better place and in God's care.


In loving memory of the beautiful Sandra Wong
21 November 1988 - 14 January 2010

6 comments:

~G~ said...

OMG! sad to hear that pal!!
cheers !!!
she's live a better life in heaven !

Anonymous said...

hey desmond,im reshma..sandra's best frend frm uni..i have heard so much about u n it was good finally meeting u at the funeral..n yes im glad we were all there for her..but yes definately its been a crazy week for all of us but lets remember her,pray she is fine and laughing as she always does...we shall keep in touch ya n im sure sandra would love to knw she brought her friends together...u stay strong n if u need to talk feel free ya...find me on fb..reshma sanghvi..cya tc ya..

desyong said...

Greg: Yeah I know. Thanks btw man.

Reshma: Hey there. Yeah, she'll always be in my prayers. Thanks for the support. You take care too.

bluestarstsl said...

be strong and take care ya!

Sheryl said...

hey des, stay strong k.. today when i was in the train, i was browsing through sandra's msgs too. she was telling me happy new year n hope that i will miss her even more this year. True enuf. I will forever be missing her. And, the gals, Chia Yeow, Ai Fang, Camie n the rest, can't stop saying her name whenever we talk. It's like sandra always do this n do that. It's hard to accept the fact that she's gone. It's jz too sudden. But we all will have to learnt to face the fact, keep her good memories with us n pray that she rest peacefully and is in a better place now. Oh oh, n that pic u uploaded, me n camie was looking at it on that sat itself. picking her best pics. n this was the BEST! She had the best smile here Des! U made her life a beautiful and happy 1. So now, i'm sure sandra would want your life to be beautiful and happy. Take care Des.

Ken Wooi said...

i feel for you.. sorry to hear about the news.. stay strong..

kenwooi.com